My best rod to date cost me a lot of money and a lot of blood sweat and tears too.
The van had a roof chop of 3 inches when I bought it and somebody had welded the back doors up. So my first job was to cut them out again and make them open as they should. That was a big job as the previous owner had cut out all the door pillars. Next was to rebuild the engine I’d bought -a Ford 302 V8 from a Mustang with an auto box and a special high stall converter.
After I rebuilt the motor I installed it, making all the mounts as I went. I then set about having a Wade RO34 blower modified to fit. I made the headers and fitted them then it was time to try the engine before I went any further. It took half a dozen turns of the starter motor and she fired. I almost sh*t myself! The sound was amazing! Next up was the front end. The steering and suspension came from a Vauxhall Viva with the steering rack narrowed to suit. The front suspension was all independent, made by a company called Wisbech .The rear axle’s a Jag, narrowed with all new polymer bushes fitted and adjustable coil over shocks. I fitted a line lock so I could lock the front brakes and get the rear wheels spinning on the spot!